first_imgCollaborate – Innovate – Disrupt: Propel to 2020. This was the dialogue that buzzed among aviation professionals at the 2019 Board of Airline Representative of South Africa (BARSA) Aviation Summit on Thursday 28 February 2019.The one-day BARSA Aviation Summit sees high-level government and private sector representatives across aviation, business and tourism come together for collaborative discussions on advancing the aviation industry. Approximately 100 delegates participated in the Summit that took place at Inanda Club in Sandton, Johannesburg.A major theme in conversations on the ground and on social media was technology and its disruption of the industry. There is an unrelenting need to develop and upskill citizens in order to stay abreast of the advancements of the Fourth Industrial Revolution.Brand South Africa’s GM for Research, Dr. Petrus De Kock presented a session on aviation as an enabler of the Nation Brand that helps to shape the reputation and competitiveness of the country.BARSA Chief Executive Officer, Ms. June Crawford told Brand South Africa that this year, BARSA is largely focused on collaborating with the greater tourism industry. “International and local airlines help to promote South Africa and to raise brand awareness”, said Crawford.The day was broken into various thought-leadership sessions, led by industry experts and cabinet ministers. One of the sessions welcome a panel discussion on “Strengthening Partnerships Between Airlines and the Travel Industry in order to Embrace New Technologies for Continuous Industry Improvement”.Delegates could also download the official event app, BARSA Summit, on their mobile phones for live interaction while the event was running.The aviation industry is a vital contributor to the South African economy and society which adds significant value to the overall Nation Brand reputation.last_img read more

first_imgOn September 6, 2011, Sanju Ram’s life changed forever. Back then, he was a Havaldar with the Dogra Regiment of the Army. He was posted in Jammu and Kashmir, on deputation with 62 Rashtriya Rifles.On that fateful autumn morning eight years ago, Mr. Ram was on a routine patrol with other soldiers when, around 10, a deafening explosion left him unconscious. It was a landmine blast. “Two days later, when I woke up in the 92 Base Hospital in Srinagar, both my legs had been amputated,” recalls Mr. Ram, who retired in 2018, following the recommendation of the medical board.“Since then, my life has never been the same. After prosthetic implants, my whole existence now feels ‘artificial’. My artificial legs can in no way replace the original limbs. It’s not easy to cope. For almost everything I am now dependent on my family members. At times, it can be really so frustrating,” he says.“I had to curb even my normal my eating habits to ensure that I do not put on extra weight. I can hardly relish my mutton curry these days, for fear that it would increase my weight, which I simply can’t afford these artificial limbs. I cannot do any field work now. It’s a struggle even to play ball with my children,” says the wheelchair-bound soldier.Mr. Ram lives in Jogindernagar’s Makrana locality in Himachal Pradesh. He says he has stopped going to Karkuhi, his native village in Mandi district, because he finds it “humiliating that a soldier should be carried on a palanquin by others to reach his own village.” Karkuhi is 23 km from his residence.“I have not visited my village for over three years now,” Mr. Ram says. “If I go, my relatives would have to carry me in a palanquin from the closest motorable road. That’s about 2 km of uneven roads to my ancestral house. I have therefore stopped visiting, though my mother, who is now very old, stays there.”His family has been a great source of support, Mr. Ram says, praising his wife Sumna Devi. “It took me months to come to terms with the new reality that the whole family was facing,” says Ms. Devi, a housewife.Inside his three-room house, built on an uneven hill terrain, Mr. Ram manages to move around on his own. But outdoor mobility remains a hurdle. Needed, help“High-tech customised prosthetics are available in the market but they are too expensive for me. If the government were to offer some kind of subsidy on such artificial limbs, it would be really helpful, especially for people like me who have undergone double amputation,” said Mr. Ram.last_img read more

first_imgAustralia’s sporting clubs have the potential to recruit over 1.1 million Australian primary school aged children in sport if they can address the key barriers to their sport participation, according to a new research report released this week. Minister for Sport, Senator Kate Lundy said the report – Market Segmentation for Sport Participation: Children 5-13 years old – identified the key motivators, needs and barriers that underpin Australian children’s participation in sport.“Young children tend to be fans of sport, and we see large numbers of primary-school aged children getting involved in club-based sport,” Senator Lundy said.“But, this research tells us that older kids often see sports clubs as competitive and overly focused on performance. These things are taking the fun out of sports participation for some kids. “The challenge for clubs is to remember that kids just want to have fun, and kids will leave club-based sport if they stop enjoying themselves.”One possible approach to keep Australian children engaged in sport is the Playing for Life philosophy, which is based on the concept of game play and uses games rather than traditional drill training to promote sports participation.The Playing For Life philosophy was developed by the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) as a means to engage children of all abilities in junior sports and to provide positive sporting experiences. Touch Football Australia (TFA) has partnered with the ASC, through its Active After School Communities (AASC) program, to provide children with an introductory Touch Football program. The Playing for Life – Touch Football coaching manual consists of seven sequential, game-based lessons suitable for primary school-aged children of all abilities. The lessons are designed to assist people with minimal experience in Touch Football, to deliver fun, inclusive games in line with the Playing for Life philosophy.Playing for Life is an approach to coaching that uses games rather than drills to introduce the skills and tactics of a particular sport, or structured physical activity, being delivered. Each session is designed purposefully, so that the games progressively introduce and develop a particular skill that is the focus of the session. The emphasis is on providing safe, fun, engaging activities that ensure maximum participation from all children, regardless of their level of ability.The Playing for Life – Touch Football resource has also been designed to strengthen the link between school and community participation, supporting the AASC program as a link in the junior participation pathway. To view the Playing for Life – Touch Football coaching manual, please click on the attachment below.The Minister has also released new research that validates the Playing For Life philosophy with children aged from five to 12, with Playing for Life to be effective at creating fun and inclusive environments for sport participation.The Children’s Market Segmentation and the Playing For Life validation research are complementary tools that can help sports understand and better retain children within their affiliates (clubs).The research follows on from the Adult Market Segmentation study released earlier this year. Both are key parts of the ASC’s leadership role in guiding sport through the provision of evidence-based support, tools and investment to increase participation.More information regarding the Children’s Market Segmentation and Playing For Life research is available at ausport.gov.au.Related Filesplay_for_life_-_touch_football_02-pdfRelated LinksPlaying For Lifelast_img read more

first_imgChelsea captain Azpilicueta tells Pulisic to keep his head upby Paul Vegas22 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta has told Christian Pulisic his chance will soon arrive.While the American has been less involved of late, Azpilicueta stressed he will have a crucial part to play in the coming months.He said, “As the manager said, we are a group, we are all important on this long path, we are only in October. Sometimes the manager has to make decisions, but I see him [Pulisic] working hard in training.”What I can say is to encourage him to keep working, because we know it is a new country, a new team, a bit of time of adaption is needed. I see him with the character working hard in training, and I’m sure he will be very important for us for the season.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

first_imgNew Delhi: In a first-of-its-kind initiative, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences Friday launched mobile methadone vans to provide treatment to opioid addicts in inner city neighbourhoods.As a pilot project, the National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre (NDDTC) of AIIMS has initiated the new service of delivering methadone through a mobile van in East Delhi. Opioid addiction is a significant problem in India, professor at NDDTC Dr Atul Ambekar said, adding these people require medicines such as methadone or buprenorphine for getting rid of the addiction. Methadone is a prescription drug given in a syrup form to patients as it helps in controlling the craving and withdrawals due to opioid addiction. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderThe drug usually comes in liquid form but is also available in powder and tablet variants. It is usually taken under the supervision of a doctor because of its potential for abuse, Ambekar said. There are very few treatment centres providing these medicines while the need is very high. It is estimated that less than 2 per cent of the population addicted to opioids in India is receiving this treatment, which is recommended by various UN bodies and the World Health Organization (WHO),” Ambekar said. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsA recently released government survey report “Prevalence and Extent of Substance Use in India”, estimated that India has about 28 lakh people affected by addiction to opioids such as heroin, opium and various pharmaceutical products. Since methadone is a highly regulated medicine, it is only provided as daily observed treatment. It is available in just about a dozen cities in India, in-charge of the methadone clinic at NDDTC Dr Ravindra Rao said. “Patients often find it difficult to come to the clinic daily to receive methadone, which leads to them dropping-out of treatment midway,” Rao informed. The mobile methadone dispensing unit plans to bridge this gap and improve retention of patients into treatment enabling them to work and lead a healthier life, Dr Rao said. Currently, such dispensing vans or buses are available in few select developed countries in the world, such as USA, Portugal, Spain, Canada and Netherlands. With the launch of mobile delivery of methadone, India joins this elite club, he said. In fact, India is the first country in the South Asian region to initiate these services, Rao claimed. The van will be parked at strategic places in East Delhi and adjoining areas for fixed time period in the day where the patients can come and receive their medicine without having to travel to the main clinic. “In the trial run for the last two weeks, we already have more than two dozen patients enrolled in the facility and the response is very encouraging,” he said.last_img read more

first_imgLondon: Uncapped pacer Jofra Archer was the only surprise absentee from England’s preliminary 15-man World Cup squad, although he was named in the team for warm-up games against Pakistan and Ireland. After a change in residency rules, Barbados-born Archer, 24, had qualified to play for England. “The selection panel has been impressed with Archer’s performances in domestic and franchise cricket,” national selector Ed Smith was quoted as saying by BBC. “He is a talented and exciting cricketer,” Smith remarked. Archer, currently playing in the Indian Premier League (IPL) for Rajasthan Royals, will now look to impress in the warm-up games as changes to squad can be made until May 23. England will play a match with Ireland on May 3 before a five-match series against Pakistan. The preliminary World Cup squad is unchanged from the winter one-day series against the West Indies.last_img read more

Trent Barter contributed to this story. The NCAA has formally notified Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee of its intent to obtain documents regarding the investigation of football coach Jim Tressel and six players for selling memorabilia, receiving improper benefits and failing to report the violations. The NCAA says the allegations are considered “potential major violations of NCAA legislation” and that the university may request that the major violations be considered secondary, with supporting evidence. The NCAA is requesting each allegation be confirmed or denied with supporting evidence. The university must compile all requested documents and respond to the allegations by July 5. Gee, Tressel and OSU athletic director Gene Smith are scheduled to meet with the NCAA Committee on Infractions on Aug. 12. John Bruno, faculty athletics representative, and Doug Archie, director of compliance, are also requested at the meeting. In the letter dated April 21, the committee wrote to Gee that it “is most interested in your presentation.” The athletic department said it has no further comment during the response phase. If the committee finds the alleged violations occurred, penalties will be assessed based on Bylaw 19.5.2. Sanctions could be as severe as vacating OSU’s wins from the 2010 season. However, the 2011 Sugar Bowl victory will not be vacated, as the NCAA reinstated the athletes for that game on the basis that the athletes “did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred,” said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs. Tressel could face termination of employment, and the program could suffer losses of scholarships and off-campus recruiting, according to the bylaw. Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, offensive lineman Mike Adams, running back Dan Herron, wide receiver DeVier Posey and defensive lineman Solomon Thomas are suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for selling game-worn memorabilia and awards and receiving free tattoos. Tressel will join them for the first five games of the season. He also faces a $250,000 fine. Josephine Potuto, a University of Nebraska professor in constitutional law, served on the NCAA Committee of Infractions from 2006–08 and chaired the committee in 2007 and 2008. “It’s very unusual for the infractions committee to reject the school’s penalties,” she said, “but in every infractions case I know of, the committee imposed further penalties.” read more

first_imgDries Mertens has been heavily linked with a move away from Napoli and mostly the Premier League clubs have been said to be interested – however, the player himself claimed that he can stay at his current club.Maurizio Sarri ended as the Napoli coach and Carlo Ancelotti was announced as his replacement – Mertens hasn’t had a chance to meet him yet but he insisted that it is not about the coach but about the team’s strength.The Belgium international spoke about his future plans as he said that he might stay at the club, according to Calcio Mercato:Maurizio Sarri, JuventusMaurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.“Stay in Naples? Let’s see how the story is, I do not understand what happened with Sarri, now I’m here, when I come back I’ll see.”“Am I fine with Ancelotti? For me also Sarri was fine, I look at the team: we have a strong team, it is not the coach who changes it.”last_img read more

first_imgReal Madrid president Florentino Perez still holds a grudge against Inter Milan following their failed attempt to prize away Luka ModricLos Blancos swept the UEFA Champions League awards ceremony in Monaco with goalkeeper Keylor Navas, captain Sergio Ramos and Modric all claiming individual awards on Thursday night.Meanwhile, former star man Cristiano Ronaldo was named the best forward of last season for his role in helping Real win a third successive European crown.But it was Modric who won the biggest prize of the night after being voted the UEFA Men’s Player of the Year.Now Perez has lifted the lid on Inter’s efforts to sign Modric this summer.“I’ve never seen a club want to buy our 10 without paying,” said Perez, according to TeamTalk.Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“It’s the first time this has happened to me in my life.”Real lodged an official complaint to FIFA over Inter’s approach for Modric earlier this month.Meanwhile, the player himself set the record straight once and for all.“I am in the best club of the world,” Modric said last night. “I want to be here.“I am not happy, I am super happy being here, very quiet and I just like to keep working doing well things like last six years.”last_img read more

first_imgMoussa Dembele  has revealed Bruce Lee’s influence as he joins Chinese club Guangzhou R&F from Tottenham Hotspur.The Belgian midfielder left Spurs and turned down a move to Bayern Munich and Inter Milan for the chance to emulate kung-fu icon Bruce Lee in the Far East.“I chose China because I needed something new,” said Dembele, according to Daily Mail.“Other clubs in Europe and Qatar were also a possibility but the adventure at Guangzhou was the most interesting.”“I’ve always been a fan of martial arts actor Bruce Lee. His films made me want to go to China one day.”“Of course the financial aspect played a part but I want to throw myself completely into the football.”Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…Dembele will earn around £5million a year in the Chinese Super League after the former Fulham midfielder departed English football.The 31-year-old featured in 249 games across all competitions for Tottenham, since signing joining them in the summer of 2012, but had just six months remaining on his contract.Dembele has only played 13 games this season, with the likes of Harry Winks and Moussa Sissoko featuring more in his absence.He has also not played since picking up an injury and being substituted after just seven minutes in Spurs’ victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers on November 3.Dembele has made 82 appearances for Belgium, and has played at the 2014 and 2018 World Cups, as well as Euro 2016.last_img read more