first_img FranceEurope – Central Asia News News to go further RSF_en June 4, 2021 Find out more “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says June 2, 2021 Find out more May 10, 2021 Find out more RSF denounces Total’s retaliation against Le Monde for Myanmar story Organisation center_img News RSF has expressed concern over the Cayenne prefecture’s refusalto grant journalist Frédéric Farine permission to cover French OverseasDepartments Minister Brigitte Girardin’s visit to French Guiana. Cayenne isthe capital of French Guiana.On 16 September 2004, Farine, a correspondent for Radio FranceInternational’s (RFI) online news service, was refused permission toaccompany the Overseas Departments Minister on an 18 September mission -dubbed “Operation Anaconda” – to wipe-out illegal gold-washing sites in thesouth. When the journalist requested permission to board the army helicopterthat had been assigned for the press, he was reportedly told by theprefecture’s administrative director, Daniel Josserand-Jaillet, “You areconstantly writing negative things about the prefectural services. I am notgoing to put you on the press list for Ms. Girardin’s visit.”When contacted by Le Monde correspondent Laurent Marot on the afternoon of16 September, Josserand-Jaillet confirmed that Farine had been excluded forhis “presumptuous behaviour” and for his “negative articles” about variousprefectural departments. Josserand-Jaillet reportedly told Marot that “alldepartments have been instructed not to communicate with (Farine).” Anotherjournalist, who was with Marot at the time of the conversation, confirmedthe director’s statement.When reached by RSF on September 22, however, Josserand-Jaillet deniedhaving made the comments, saying that Farine was not allowed on thehelicopter because there were no seats available when he called two daysearlier. Other journalists who were on the helicopter have confirmed that aseat was, in fact, available on the aircraft, and that Farine, who waspresent during take-off, was nevertheless not allowed to board.In the July 2004 edition of Menmomag magazine, Farine published aninvestigative report on the Cayenne prefecture’s alleged fraudulent grantingof visas. The journalist is also known for his reporting on gold-washingindustry violence. In July 2001, he co-authored a report with Le Monde’sMarot denouncing the reign of terror of “quasi-militias” at the service ofgold-washing lords and the authorities’ complacent attitude toward them.On 14 May 2003, Farine was violently attacked by gold-washing lord Jean Benawhile he was covering the murder trial of a former Bena employee for the RFOGuyane radio station. On 16 December, a Cayenne court found Bena guilty ofassault in the incident and sentenced him to a four-month suspended prisonsentence and a fine of 3,000 euros (approx. US$ 3,680). The court justifiedthe harsh sentence by the serious nature of the incident, its context andthe high profile of the accused. Bena has appealed the verdict. The case isscheduled to be heard on 11 October 2004. Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information September 24, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Prefecture denies journalist access to minister Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU News FranceEurope – Central Asia Follow the news on Francelast_img read more

first_imgNewsLocal NewsMayor demands action on former landfill siteBy admin – September 24, 2009 820 Previous articleShots fired at houseNext articleConcern at access denial to city admin Print Facebook Advertisement IMMEDIATE action at the former landfill site on the Longpavement, is being demanded by Mayor Kevin Kiely.He wants it converted into a top class recreational facility.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Following a directive by the EU some years ago, the site was cleared of the landfill dump for the city’s litter. Currently being rehabilitated under licence from the Environmental Protection Agency, the objective is to minimise the uncontrolled spread of landfill gas and landfill leachate beyond the site.While the rehabilitation works will continue to the end of this year, it is expected that the site will be redesigned for a number of recreational activities, although to-date, no specific details have been confirmed.This week, however, Mayor Kiely said the time is now opportune to move the project ahead.“Eight years ago, I was told that we’d have a golf course and soccer pitches on the site, as well as a riverside walk, possibly a playground, seating, lighting, etc. – all of which would fit in very well with the regeneration plans we have for that area of the city – now is the opportune to move on this”.The mayor enquired about the present levels of methane gas on the site and was told by City Hall executive, Caroline Curley, that monitoring of the site had revealed that the production of landfill gas was relatively low and therefore, ruled out the possibility of generating energy.“The Environment Protection Agency licence required that a landfill gas collection and treatment system be installed on the site and to comply with this, a gas drainage membrane was placed on top of the landfill,” she said.The mayor and councillors were told that pumping trials were carried out to estimate the amount and quality of gas that would be produced.“The results from the trials predict sustainable capacity at the site until 2040, and that the landfill gas will continue to be produced at a lower quantity and quality for the following 20 – 30 years”.Explaining that while the rehabilitation work on the site will be completed by the end of this year and that monitoring will continue to ensure a reduction of land fill gas, city council says that a system, comprising vertical wells, collection pipework, pumping plant, storage tank, methane stripper and a rising main to the main drainage system will be installed.“Landfill gas will also be reduced by the placing of a liner layer and the surface water liner layer over the entire landfill body, which will prevent water going into the site.Mayor Kiely said that the recreational facilities planned for the site, when the rehabilitation work finishes at the end of this year, will be discussed at the first full meeting of the new city council, at the end of September.center_img WhatsApp Linkedin Email Twitterlast_img read more

first_imgThe Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service (CMEMS) provides regular and systematic reference information on the physical and biogeochemical ocean and sea-ice state for the global ocean and the European regional seas. CMEMS serves a wide range of users (more than 15,000 users are now registered to the service) and applications. Observations are a fundamental pillar of the CMEMS value-added chain that goes from observation to information and users. Observations are used by CMEMS Thematic Assembly Centres (TACs) to derive high-level data products and by CMEMS Monitoring and Forecasting Centres (MFCs) to validate and constrain their global and regional ocean analysis and forecasting systems. This paper presents an overview of CMEMS, its evolution, and how the value of in situ and satellite observations is increased through the generation of high-level products ready to be used by downstream applications and services. The complementary nature of satellite and in situ observations is highlighted. Long-term perspectives for the development of CMEMS are described and implications for the evolution of the in situ and satellite observing systems are outlined. Results from Observing System Evaluations (OSEs) and Observing System Simulation Experiments (OSSEs) illustrate the high dependencies of CMEMS systems on observations. Finally future CMEMS requirements for both satellite and in situ observations are detailed.last_img read more