first_imgNewsCommunitySinn Féin TD says ban on scramblers needed, as issues worsen during Covid-19 lockdownBy Cian Reinhardt – April 13, 2020 655 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement Covid antibody testing opens to public at Shannon Airport Limerick health chiefs urge public not to withhold information on virus contacts, as they investigate “complex and serious outbreaks” across midwest region Twitter Mass COVID testing to take place at University of Limerick following fresh outbreak of virus among student population Government announces phased easing of public health restrictions Print WhatsAppcenter_img Facebook Previous articleLimerick singer Cat Reynolds is Ever After HappyNext articlePublic asked to celebrate frontline workers with #MyHeroes campaign Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected] TAGSanti social behaviourCommunityCoronavirusCovid 19News Maurice Quinlivan TDSCRAMBLERS need to be banned from Limerick’s housing estates because of the danger they pose to the public and are causing annoyance to local resident’s, Deputy Maurice Quinlivan, Sinn Féin has said.The Sinn Féin Deputy says he has been contacted by “countless residents” across the city about the scourge of scramblers in Limerick’s estates.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “This issue isn’t new,” he said, “and Sinn Féin have previously brought forward legislation for them to be banned from being used on public land. Unfortunately, the government refused to act on this.“But now, as people are confined to their homes due to the Covid-19 lockdown, many are being subjected to constant noise and disruption from these scramblers. This is incredibly unfair especially when the extension of the lock down to May 5th at the very least.”The Limerick City TD believes the disruption caused by the scramblers is “adding to the challenge” parents have trying to keep their children inside and safe “when the children can look out the window and see others ignoring the public health advice and acting as if there is no pandemic”.“Also many elderly people are living in fear in their own communities,” said Deputy Quinlivan, “as they don’t want to venture outside for their bit of exercise within the 2km radius, when these people are on scramblers.“It’s already a difficult time for everyone, the last thing they want is this irritating and dangerous addition.“These scramblers are dangerous, extremely noisy and their use intimidates people, often results in public areas being destroyed and dug up, and they need to be banned.”The Sinn Féin representative said he has spoken to the Garda Superintendent in Limerick this week, and he hopes “the Gardaí will act on it.” Institute of Public Health addresses loneliness as a challenge to national health in light of Covid-19 restrictions Email Linkedin ‘Everything tells us we are moving forward’last_img read more

first_imgHowever, despite DNB’s objection, Wonen said that it had adjusted its pension plan to the current arrangements of Detailhandel, through reducing its contribution from 21.6% to 20.8% of the pensionable salary.It also increased its franchise – the part of the salary that is excluded from pensions accrual – from €10,317 to €12,564, but kept the annual accrual rate at 1.75% of the salary.Wonen, which had to apply a 3.6% rights cut earlier, reported a funding of 111.1% at June-end, when the coverage ratio of Detailhandel was 115%.At the Pensioenfonds voor de Detailhandel nobody was available for a comment. The scheme has yet to publish its annual report for 2013.The Stichting Pensioenfonds Wonen said that it lost 3% on investments last year, in part due to the effect of rising interest rates on its 57.4% fixed income portfolio, which generated 0.9%, but largely to a 5.9% loss on its full hedge of the interest risk on its liabilities.It made clear that the introduction of the ultimate forward rate as the discount rate for its liabilities, triggered its decision to replace long-term interest swaps with swaps with a shorter duration, “in order to match the susceptibility to interest rates with the UFR methodology”.In addition, Wonen said it converted its remaining swaption into a swap and subsequently froze its swaps portfolio. As this decreased the effect of the interest hedge, it indicated it would also look at the interest cover during its planned asset liability management study.Wonen reported a 11.9% profit on its 22.3% equity holdings, and said it lost 2.9% on its 12.6% property portfolio last year.The scheme returned 10.2% and 3.3% respectively on its private equity and infrastructure investments, but noted that private equity had underperformed 11 percentage points.Its board further indicated that it had not adjusted its strategic investment mix, pending decisions on the new pensions contract, based on the new financial assessment framework (FTK).The Pensioenfonds Wonen has 24,675 active participants, 91,805 deferred members and 13,150 pensioners. The €2.2bn pension fund for the furnishing sector, Wonen, plans to merge with Detailhandel, the €13bn scheme for the retail industry.However, in its annual report, it indicated that the intended merger has been delayed by supervisor De Nederlandsche Bank (DNB), which “had rejected the proposed solution for bridging the different funding level of both schemes”.When asked by IPE, the board of Wonen declined to elaborate on the suggested solution, or to clarify at what stage the preparations for a possible merger were.In its annual report, the board of Wonen said that last year, it had tasked a special merger working group with assessing the options of joining Detailhandel by 1 January 2014.last_img read more

first_imgNewsHub 25 May 2017Family First Comment: Decent research. Positive results. Warning of side-effects.This is the way the issue of medicinal marijuana should be approached – rather than anecdotal evidence and the lobbying of the media, NORML and the Drug Foundation. Previously, support for medicinal marijuana has been based on anecdotal data. Now there could be science backing it.A new study published on Thursday (NZ time) has found medicine made from a marijuana extract can dramatically cut the number of seizures experienced by children with a severe form of epilepsy.It’s the first time a double-blind placebo-controlled trial has been done on it.The research has excited the doctors who led the study, which was published in the New England Journal of Medicine, as it finally provides reliable data as opposite to anecdotal.“More than 26 percent of the children who received the drug had a significant reduction in their convulsive, or severe seizures compared to the placebo group so it was a very positive finding, it was statistically significant and more importantly, it was clinically significant,” lead researcher Dr Orrin Devinsky said.“Some of those children were actually seizure-free and many others enjoyed a substantial reduction in their seizure frequency.”In the trial, neither the parents nor the researchers were told whether the children were taking the study medication or the placebo.It was tested with 120 children who had Dravet syndrome, chosen at random from the US, the UK and parts of Europe.Sixty one got the study medication, while 59 were on the placebo.Patients on the drug dropped from around 12 serious seizures a month, to six. Those on the placebo didn’t change, according to Dr Devinsky.The medication was a liquid form of cannabidiol, one of marijuana’s ingredients, branded Epidiolex. It doesn’t contain any THC.“Today for the first time we have rigorous, double blind, placebo controlled trial that cannabidiol works in reducing convulsive seizures in children with severe epilepsy,” Dr Devinsky said.But he cautioned it wasn’t a cure-all – side effects such as diarrhoea, vomiting, fatigue, sleep problems and other issues were more common in the group taking the drug.READ MORE: http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/health/2017/05/new-study-finally-supports-cannabidiol-for-seizures.htmllast_img read more

first_imgThree boaters were rescued Saturday evening in Belle Glade, after their vessel capsized.Palm Beach County Fire Rescue crews responded to the 1500 block of Torrey Island Road at 7:17 p.m. and located three patients in the water near the capsized vessel.The three people were brought back to shore and transported to a local hospital for treatment of minor injuries.last_img