first_imgOAKLAND — It’s a manager’s job to sweat the small stuff, and as the A’s began their final regular-season homestand against the Kansas City Royals on Monday night Bob Melvin found plenty of things to worry about.How is Mike Fiers’ arm? Stephen Piscotty’s ankle? How about the turf at the Oakland Coliseum that was subjected to a Raiders game Sunday, then an unexpected dousing of rain?Melvin heaped praise on head groundskeeper Clay Wood and his staff for working through the night to transition …last_img read more

first_img17 July 2014 South Africa has expressed its concern over the escalation of violence between Israel and the Palestine territories to Israeli Ambassador Arthur Lenk. On Wednesday, Lenk was summoned to the Department of International Relations and Cooperation in Pretoria for a meeting with Deputy Minister Nomaindia Mfeketo. Mfeketo expressed South Africa’s grave concern over the escalation of violence, which has resulted in the loss of civilian life and the destruction of property in Gaza. Israeli-Palestinian violence has flared in the wake of the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teenagers in the West Bank in late June, and the subsequent kidnapping and killing of a Palestinian teenager from East Jerusalem earlier this month. Militants in Gaza have stepped up rocket attacks against Israel, and Israeli airstrikes on the enclave have intensified. Mfeketo told Lenk that the South African government strongly opposed any threat of ground invasion, and urged Israel to refrain from making utterances that could worsen the situation. The government called on Israel to immediately cease its air strikes into the Gaza Strip, to allow safe and free passage for civilians, and to make it possible for humanitarian organisations to work on alleviating the suffering of victims of the violence. Mfeketo said South Africa was opposed to any attempt to use the current situation to undermine the unity government in Palestine, whose advent was warmly welcomed by peace-loving people the world over. In addition, Pretoria demanded that the Israeli authorities lift all restrictions to the importation of building material and equipment into the Gaza Strip to enable destitute families and the Gaza administration to re-build homes and infrastructure destroyed by Israeli acts of aggression. “The South African government also demands the immediate halt to the construction and expansion of settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories by the Israeli government, which violates international law, gravely undermines peace efforts, and threatens the viability of the two-state solution,” Mfeketo said. In response, Lenk explained Israel’s position on the conflict, and said he would convey South Africa’s message to his government. Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest After buildings have been in dire need of repairs, following the 2018 Pickaway County Fair, the fair board decided to remedy that problem by constructing eight new structures in a year’s time.last_img

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Hakan Calhanoglu pledges commitment to AC Milanby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveHakan Calhanoglu has pledged his commitment to AC Milan.The midfielder has been linked with a move to RB Leipzig this month.But Rossoneri boss Gennaro Gattuso has blocked the move.“I’m in Milan, I’m a Milan player and I’m happy here,” Calhanoglu told TRT Spor.“The rest is out of the question right now. I’m preparing for our match at the weekend.” last_img read more

first_imgChelsea captain Azpilicueta tells Pulisic to keep his head upby Paul Vegas22 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta has told Christian Pulisic his chance will soon arrive.While the American has been less involved of late, Azpilicueta stressed he will have a crucial part to play in the coming months.He said, “As the manager said, we are a group, we are all important on this long path, we are only in October. Sometimes the manager has to make decisions, but I see him [Pulisic] working hard in training.”What I can say is to encourage him to keep working, because we know it is a new country, a new team, a bit of time of adaption is needed. I see him with the character working hard in training, and I’m sure he will be very important for us for the season.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

first_imgMichigan and Jumpman logo seen side by side.Jim Harbaugh is excited for Michigan to become a Nike school. Really excited, apparently.The Wolverines are holding a Nike kickoff event in Ann Arbor, Mich. tonight at The M Den, the school’s official merchandise dealer. Michigan’s $173 million contract with Nike starts at midnight and the store will begin to start selling Nike and Air Jordan gear at that time.Michigan has gone all-out for the start of the contract, holding a type of pep rally outside the store.Harbaugh has made an appearance and, in this video from ESPN’s Darren Rovell, you can watch him emphatically sing The Victors.Jim Harbaugh at @TheMDen an hour before store opens to sell 1st Michigan-Nike product pic.twitter.com/W1QrS75BzC— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) August 1, 2016Harbaugh is just the best.last_img read more

first_imgOAKVILLE, Ont. – Tim Hortons’s franchisee advisory board has waded into a war of words between the brand’s parent company and an outspoken restaurant owners association, attacking the group for publicly slandering the company and making complaints about it to the federal government and in the media.In a letter sent to fellow franchisees this week, the board says recent “negative commentary,” much of which stemmed from the Great White North Franchisee Association’s criticism, is “corrosive and damaging to our brand, our livelihoods and that of our teams.”The franchisee advisory board has 19 elected members — all whom signed the letter — who liaise with company executives and advocate on behalf of franchisees.The letter was triggered by the relationship between parent company Restaurant Brands International and the GWNFA, which became tense over the last few months, after the association attacked RBI for cost-cutting measures in the wake of Ontario’s minimum wage hike, cash register outages and a $700-million renovation plan to spruce up restaurants. Their spat intensified in April, when a federal investigation was triggered after GWNFA wrote to Innovation Minister Navdeep Bains alleging RBI had failed to live up to promises made under the Investment Canada Act in 2014, when Tim Hortons was merged with Burger King to create RBI.The letter called GWNFA’s plea for a government investigation “a final straw.”“Without a doubt, this media attention has affected our brand in the eyes of the public – it has caused the public to watch and consider us more critically than they may have once done,” the letter said.“This second look has exposed issues that may have previously existed but were forgiven or overlooked. Issues such as service, accuracy or operational execution to name a few.”The board said it feared the public wrongfully perceives that GWNFA speaks for all franchisees and warned that “our guests are voting with their feet.”It noted that Tim Hortons had plunged from the fourth spot to the fiftieth in a recent annual brand reputation rankings survey looking at Canada’s most adored companies.RBI’s stock also took a dive, reaching its lowest point this month since September 2017 as internal strife between the GWNFA and the company became public.In an emailed statement, RBI noted it didn’t have anything to say about communications between the sparring franchisee factions, but said it was committed “to improving our relationship with all of our franchise owners.”“We realize we have work to do, and welcome all opportunities for dialogue with franchisees in pursuit of that goal,” the statement added.Earlier this week, Tim Hortons president Alex Macedo told The Canadian Press the company has a “good” rapport with the franchisee advisory board.On the topic of the letter GWNFA sent to Bains citing issues with RBI’s commitments to maintain franchisee relationships, the company’s rent and royalty structure for five years and existing employment levels at franchises across Canada, Macedo said only that “we have reported into Ottawa each and every year with everything we have done and we are happy to co-operate if anything comes up.”The GWNFA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.Board member Lou Gossner would not agree to an interview on the letter, but said in an email that “we look forward to moving past our recent differences and getting back to doing what we love: serving our guests, our team members and our communities.”Companies in this story: (TSX:QSR)last_img read more

Lantern file photoOhio State student-athletes are showing their brain power in the Big Ten.A conference-high total of 74 Buckeyes from 28 sports were named to the 2013 Big Ten Distinguished Scholars list, as released by the Big Ten.To be named to the list, those letter winners in at least their second year at their respective school must post a minimum grade-point average of 3.7 or higher in the previous academic year.There were a total of nine Buckeyes who earned a 4.0 GPA last year including senior Derek Blevins (track and field), senior Aaron Craft (men’s basketball), then-senior Adam Homan (football), redshirt sophomore Randy Languis (wrestling), redshirt junior Michael Newburger (gymnastics), senior Melissa Rennie (softball), redshirt senior Max Stearns (fencing), sophomore Gavin Trebilcock (swimming and diving) and junior Tim Wetzel (baseball).Craft is one of two conference basketball players to be named distinguished scholar for the year. He also was named the 2013 Academic All-America of the Year in the sport. Homan is one of three Big Ten football players to post a 4.0 GPA.OSU’s women’s swimming and diving program held the most members of any squad with eight, and were followed by field hockey, men’s volleyball and men’s swimming and diving, who all had five. read more

Ohio State redshirt junior guard Kam Williams (15) and sophomore guard C.J. Jackson walk down the floor late in the second half against Nebraska on Feb. 18 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorExcitement and uncertainty. If there were two words to describe near-universal opinions from everyone about the Ohio State men’s basketball team, those two words would probably fit best.In addition to a coaching change with Chris Holtmann being hired as head coach, the roster has experienced a high degree of turnover. The Buckeyes lost three of their five starters from a season ago while adding three touted recruits and gaining a healthy redshirt junior forward Keita Bates-Diop.The uncertainty starts in the head coach’s office as Holtmann said he knows who only two of his five starters will be when the team kicks off its season with an exhibition game against Wooster at 4 p.m. on Nov. 5 at the Schottenstein Center.“[Senior forward] Jae’Sean Tate is going to be in [the starting lineup], Keita Bates-Diop is going to be in it,” Holtmann said in an interview with The Lantern Wednesday. “After that, I’m still trying to figure out where to go from there.“I think we have multiple guys that can play and I think we’ll have a fairly fluid starting lineup throughout the year. That happens when you have eight to 10 guys that can potentially all start a game for you.”Ohio State then-sophomore guard C.J. Jackson attempts a shot over Indiana’s Thomas Bryant on March 4 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Mason Swires | Former Assistant Photo EditorThe only other position Holtmann would go so far as to name a favorite in was at point guard, where junior C.J. Jackson was called the “likely starter.” Jackson being the likely starter should come as no surprise as he is the only true point guard on the roster.  A heavy weight will be added to Jackson’s shoulders if he is asked to be the on-court leader at point guard. Though he appeared in all 32 games for the Buckeyes last season, he started only nine games and averaged just 5.6 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game. Holtmann said he has seen steady improvements out of Jackson since hired in June, but said he still needs to learn how to keep a cool head even he is dealt with some struggles.“I’ve challenged [Jackson] to be a little more physical, to kind of grow in his areas of physicality and toughness and he’s embraced that,” Holtmann said. “Our biggest challenge with C.J. has been not to get too frustrated with himself because he’s going to have to play through mistakes this year because the ball’s going to be in his hands a lot, and he’s going to play an important role and he’s going to have to stay with the right approach.”Jackson being the only natural point guard is a clear sign of the dire lack of depth the team possesses at the position. Holtmann said he believes both Tate and redshirt senior Andrew Dakich could play at the one if called upon by the team. However, Tate is more of a wing and Dakich played just 203 collegiate minutes before transferring to Ohio State. And, in prior seasons, he was more of a bench player.The depth is not much more improved at the shooting guard position either. Freshman Musa Jallow and redshirt senior Kam Williams are natural shooting guards and are both unlikely to see much time at the point. Jallow is also a freshman playing college basketball in what would have been his senior year of high school — he reclassified over the summer and committed to Ohio State — and Williams was inconsistent last season.“We are thin in the backcourt, we know that,” Holtmann said. “I think that’s well documented right, everybody who knows our team knows that people reflect on the point guard position, but we’re thin at the two.”As for the roles of the trio of highly touted freshmen, Holtmann has yet to devise a full plan for what to do with them. The aforementioned Jallow will be able to play both shooting guard and small forward, while freshman Kaleb Wesson will provide the Buckeyes with a low-post player who could receive starting minutes at both center and power forward. Freshman Kyle Young is a big man who has the positional versatility to provide the Buckeyes with depth at both forward and potentially guard. The flexibility of the young players gives Holtmann options when examining ways to fit them into his lineup. “I think all three are going to play in every game,” Holtmann said. “I think they’ll all play significant roles. And when I say significant roles, I think they’re going to be in our top nine or 10 in our rotation, which is a significant role as a freshman. I think it’ll be varying degrees based on how guys develop and our needs for the relative to their position, but all three are ready to help us.”The starting five is made all the more uncertain by the fact the team is currently dealing with a handful of injuries. Though Bates-Diop was listed as one of the starters, Holtmann said he has a knee injury. Wesson and Young each are also dealing with ailments as the former has a sprained ankle and the latter had his tonsils removed. Holtmann added that all three “have missed significant days of practice.”“That slows you down a little bit, but you know, it’s nothing that is going to keep them out for a significant time and we’re all back and healthy right now,” Holtmann said.Though clouded with uncertainty, Holtmann’s squad has the first-year head coach excited to begin the season and see what players will step up. “We certainly have some new faces and some young people that we’ll need to grow into new roles,” Holtmann said. “But I’m excited about the potential of this group and I see those things.” read more

first_imgDries Mertens has been heavily linked with a move away from Napoli and mostly the Premier League clubs have been said to be interested – however, the player himself claimed that he can stay at his current club.Maurizio Sarri ended as the Napoli coach and Carlo Ancelotti was announced as his replacement – Mertens hasn’t had a chance to meet him yet but he insisted that it is not about the coach but about the team’s strength.The Belgium international spoke about his future plans as he said that he might stay at the club, according to Calcio Mercato:Maurizio Sarri, JuventusMaurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.“Stay in Naples? Let’s see how the story is, I do not understand what happened with Sarri, now I’m here, when I come back I’ll see.”“Am I fine with Ancelotti? For me also Sarri was fine, I look at the team: we have a strong team, it is not the coach who changes it.”last_img read more