first_imgHomepage BannerNews Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest Twitter Facebook Google+ Previous articleAnam Cara Donegal to hold bereavement information eveningNext articleFull capacity protocol remains in place at LUH this evening News Highland Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme center_img Google+ Facebook Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Two men found guilty of rape in Donegal Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Pinterest A jury has found two Donegal residents guilty of raping a student who they brought back to their flat after a night out drinking.29 year old Boakye Osei, of Tooban, Burnfoot and 33 year old Kelvin Opoku of Cill Graine, Letterkenny had pleaded not guilty to rape of the woman in February 2015.After a five week trial a jury of seven men and four women took just over two hours to return unanimous guilty verdicts. Justice Alex Owens ordered a Probation Service report for both men and certified them as sex offenders.He also ordered a victim impact statement to be prepared for a sentence date on January 13th next, and remanded the two Ghanaian nationals in custody to that date.In a trial that began last week, the men had denied two counts of rape.During the trial the woman, who is now aged in her 20s, testified that she had being out drinking with her friend in a local nightclub, and she was drunk and finding it difficult to walk home.She said the men were in a car and offered them a lift home. She said the men brought them back to a flat and offered them drink, and that’s where both of them raped her.She told the court she didn’t remember being asked for consent, and she would not have given it.***************Further detailsDuring the trial the woman, who is now aged in her 20s, testified that she had been out drinking with her friend in a local nightclub and she was drunk and finding it difficult to walk home.She said the men were in a car and offered them a lift home. She said the men brought them back to a flat and offered them drink.She told the jury she remembers lying on a bed and someone heavy on her and then something “inside her”. She said that the men swapped over and the second man raped her.The woman said she was “blind drunk” and could not and did not consent to any sexual activity.”Osei told gardaí that he was touching the victim’s friend while Opoku was having sex with the victim on the same bed. The victim’s friend said that when she told Osei she didn’t want to have sex, he went over to the victim and had sex with her.”Osei denied any sexual activity between him and the complainant. When shown evidence that his semen was found on her underwear he replied “no comment”. His lawyers argued the semen traces could have come from cross-contamination.Opoku told gardaí that he and the woman had sex which she consented to. He said he didn’t believe she was too drunk to consent.Gardaí later showed him mobile phone footage taken by the victim’s friend in which the victim is staggering around the apartment and later falling on the bathroom floor, exposing her underwear, before the two men hold her up. Opoku said she wasn’t in that condition when they had sex.He and the victim’s friend told gardaí that the victim was saying “harder” and moaning during the sex. Cross-examined on this the victim said she may have been dreaming and had a history of talking and moaning in her sleep.”I was half way between sleep and drunkenness. I felt like I didn’t know what was happening. I didn’t know if it was a dream or it was actually happening. I was just so drunk,” she said.< summary of evidence >During the trial the complainant, who is now aged in her 20s, told Seamus Clarke SC, prosecuting, that she and a female friend had spent the night at a “student night” in a local pub and nightclub.She said she had drunk a number of vodka drinks, a cocktail and cider. She said they were given free “Jolly rancher” shots and used a drinks voucher won in a “pub quiz” to buy eight vodka and red bulls, some of which she remembers drinking.The woman said when she and her friend left the nightclub she was “very intoxicated”.She said she and her friend were walking home when they came across two men sitting in a parked car. The woman said her friend spoke to the men and then told her, “We’re gonna get a lift home”.The complainant said they drove for about ten minutes before entering an apartment she didn’t know. “I remember being quite drunk and staggering up the stairs, I couldn’t walk properly,” she told the jury.She said she and her friend were hungry and didn’t want to drink any more and wanted to get food. The men gave them a drink which she believed was vodka.“I was very intoxicated. I was ready to pass out and fall over,” she told the jury. She said on a scale of one to ten of drunkenness, she was ten.Video footage, taken on a mobile phone by the complainant’s friend, shows the women in an apartment with two men. Later footage shows the woman falling on the bathroom floor, exposing her underwear, before two men hold her up.The complainant identified herself on the footage and told the court it showed both men carrying her to the bedroom. She said she remembers lying on a bed and someone heavy on her and then something inside her vagina.”I was half way between sleep and drunkenness. I felt like I didn’t know what was happening. I didn’t know if it was a dream or it was actually happening. I was just so drunk.“In terms of consenting, I in no way did consent to having sex with these men or to them touching me or coming near me in any intimate way.”Cross-examined over a statement to gardaí by her friend that the complainant was “definitely awake at least for the first half of the time” that she was “with a man”, the witness said: “I may have been awake but I was also blind drunk”.Asked about evidence that she was heard moaning and saying the word “harder”, she said she may have been dreaming and had a history of talking and moaning in her sleep.She told the jury that she and her friend woke up in the apartment the next morning and began watching the mobile phone videos. She said that one of the men told her to delete the footage and was blocking the door out of the apartment.The woman said she lied and told the man she had deleted the footage and he then offered to drive them back to their flat in the town.The defence position was that any sexual activity that took place was consensual. The complainant told Colman Fitzgerald SC, defending, that she thought she did kiss somebody in the smoking area of the nightclub earlier that night. She said she told gardaí about it and she didn’t know his name.She said she generally wouldn’t kiss someone she didn’t know.“I would have a conversation with them first. I’m not the type of person who would kiss someone without speaking to them first,” she said.She agreed that if she hadn’t been drinking she would not have kissed him and that “drink has the effect that you do something you wouldn’t do when you were sober”Asked if there was anything else she knew she would do when drunk that she might not do when sober, she said no. After a pause she added, “I probably wouldn’t order eight vodka and red bulls if I was sober.”She said she didn’t remember being asked for consent and would not have given it.“I did not say yes, get on top of me and have sex with me. I did not say anything close to that,” she said. By News Highland – November 6, 2019 WhatsApp Community Enhancement Programme open for applications last_img read more

first_imgLNG World News Staff Image courtesy of Singapore LNG Corp.Temasek-owned Pavilion Energy is reportedly targeting European markets as well as expansion in Asia in a push to expand its global LNG footprint.According to Reuters, the company expects a turnover of $3 billion next year with half the amount to come from its Europe portfolio after a recent acquisition and the rest from Singapore.The company plans to open a new office in Madrid, as a next step following the acquisition of Spanish energy company Iberdrola’s LNG assets, which doubled Pavilion’s portfolio and gave it access to European regasification terminals as well as Atlantic supplies.The company’s activity in Asia will, for the most part, come out of Singapore due to its proximity to buyers in Japan and South Korea.Pavilion is currently in talks with its compatriot LNG terminal operator Singapore LNG to extend the capacity contract at the terminal beyond March 2020 when the current deal is set to expire.Pavilion also showed interest for a potential fifth LNG storage tank being considered by Singapore LNG, which would allow Pavilion to import large cargoes, break them up and re-export to neighboring countries.last_img read more

first_imgPresident of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), Mr. Gianni Infantino and his delegation paid a courtesy call to President David Granger on Tuesday.The team is here the sod-turning ceremony for the FIFA Forward Project at Providence, East Bank Demerara. The meeting was held at Base Camp Ayanganna, before the commencement of this week’s Cabinet meeting. Minister of State, Mr. Joseph Harmon and Minister of Social Cohesion, Dr. George Norton were also present at the meeting.The visiting delegation, which includes two former star football players, Mr. Juan Angel of Colombia and Mr. Pablo Aldao of Argentina, was accompanied by President of the Guyana Football Federation (GFF), Mr. Wayne Forde, First Vice President, Brigadier (Ret) Bruce Lovell and Second Vice President, Mr. Rawlston Adams. From a President to a President! The FIFA Head also presented President Granger with a special token of appreciationDuring their discussions, President Granger said that much more needs to be done with regard to training and the provision of resources to bring the game of football up to the same popularity as cricket. He explained that Guyana shares an extensive border with Brazil, which is considered a football powerhouse and that, in many ways, has generated great interest and love for the game in Guyana, particularly in the hinterland. He said that collaboration between Guyana and FIFA, which has the expertise and resources to support the further development of the game in the country, will give young people in those regions the opportunity to become world-class football players.Meanwhile, Mr. Infantino said that the Caribbean Region is blessed with exceptional natural talent for sport in general. “Every kid that we could take off the streets to play football is a benefit for society,” he said. He also spoke of the possibility of greater collaboration through the mechanism of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM).In this regard, the FIFA Head requested that President Granger, who is the current Chairman of CARICOM, use his office to ensure a meeting between the football and regional body is included on the agenda for the next Heads of Government Conference. He indicated, too, that a similar request was already communicated to the Prime Minister of Grenada, Dr. Keith Mitchell, who will take over the responsibility of Chairmanship in July. (Ministry of the Presidency)last_img read more

first_imgT&T at World Relays Multiple Olympic medalist, Ato Boldon, believes Trinidad and Tobago will be competitive during this weekend’s IAAF/BTC World Relays in Nassau, Bahamas from April 22-23.Boldon, who coaches Carifta Under-20 sprint double champion, Khalifa St Fort, believes the 22-member team should give a good account of themselves.“I think we’ll do okay,” Boldon said during an interview on Morning Edition in T&T Wednesday.“I’m a little concerned that we haven’t had a single relay pass for the entire year but I think we’ll get there early enough to get something done in the days leading up and I think we should be very competitive.”In addition to St Fort, the T&T contingent also includes Michelle Lee Ahye, Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Semoy Hackett and Kamara Durant among the leading names for the women. Among the men, Keston Bledman leads a contingent that also includes Emmanuel Callender, Lalone Gordon, Renny Quow, Machel Cedeno and Deon Lendore.“The men’s 4x4s should have medalled last year (2015). They had an unfortunate incident where they were disqualified. Khalifa’s team, the women’s 4x1s were fifth in the world so they are going to be very competitive and the men’s 4x1s are perennial medallists, so I think we will do very well.”His concerns about the lack of relay practice, he said, have been allayed somewhat based on a recent meeting in Florida between the sport’s administrators and athletes likely to be in London for the World Championships later this year.“I was very impressed with the meeting. I came away feeling, ‘okay, maybe everybody sort of learned the lessons of Rio, and we are going to proceed a little differently than before’ so I will expect to see things turned around even though they haven’t just yet. I am pretty optimistic about how things will be handled in the future,” Boldon said.last_img read more